Re: Computer won't power off

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 08:19:42AM -0800, jennyw wrote:
| I don't know ... I did a dist-upgrade. Would that upgrade the kernel?

No.

What does

    $ cat /proc/version

say?

| When I type poweroff, it does the same thing as before, the computer
| just doesn't power down ... it unmounts all file systems then says power
| off computer (or something like that) same as before -- it's just that
| the computer remains on.
|
| I guess the solution is to recompile the kernel?

That should only be necessary if apm support was not compiled at all.
Did you make a custom kernel?  If not, then apm support was compile,
you just need to enable it.

What does

    $ cat /proc/cmdline

say?  Does it have "apm=on" in it?

If you have a 2.4 kernel, does

    $ /sbin/lsmod | grep apm

output anything?

Regardless of whether you have a 2.2 or 2.4 kernel you need to put
"apm=on" in the kernel command line.  This is done via your boot
loader's configuration.  (if you custom compile your kernel and say
"Y" to apm then this is not necessary, but for the packaged kernels it
is).  If you have a 2.4 kernel you need to load the 'apm' module
before shutting down the system.  The easiest way is to add 'apm' to
/etc/modules.  (again, this is for the packaged kernels, if you
compiled your own and said "Y" this is not necessary)

HTH,
-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build