Re: cvs security - ssh vs pserver?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 04:09:53AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> * Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu> [2001.11.28 10:44:02-0600]:
> > Bull. Give me one reason why it sucks. It's the way of giving them
> > anonymous cvs access without too much hassle. Or do you believe
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > that letting them have *a private key* is bad because it's called
> > "private"? It's just a word, you know...
>
> i know. but there are two problems: one, you lose trust in a single
> user means you have to redistribute new private keys. and two - it's a
> proven fact that when i have my own password or my own key, i am a
> little more protective off it. aside, with a single key you can't
> determine who leaked the key in case of a third party entry, *and* you
> still have the problem of distribution.

...all of which is not a detriment to a key which is being used to
establish _anonymous_ access.  If it was intended for authenticated
access by a trusted user or users, then you're absolutely correct.
Dmitri, however, is suggesting that a specific key pair be designated
for anonymous access, which suggests that distribution of the private
key to any and all interested third parties with a minimum of
accountability is not only acceptable, but probably also desirable.

> most importantly, you
> are actively working against the concept behind public key
> encruyption.

Not true.  The concept behind encryption (PK or otherwise) is to
establish a secure method of communication.  Dmitri is simply
pointing out that ssh normally uses a one-to-many (one person can
access accounts on many machines) model but, by distributing the
private key and securing the public key, you can reverse that to
allow essentially anonymous many-to-one access instead.

> > Yes, and you also have one to one key->user map, so the setup is not
> > anonymous. Which may not be a good thing.
>
> so then give me a way to figure out which identity logged in to ssh if
> they all log in as one user?

You don't need to.  That's sort of the point of anonymous access.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss