Re: Potato system (Re: Help with X (after upgrade to Woody))

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Paolo Falcone wrote:
> A normal apt-get dist-upgrade without modifying /etc/apt/sources.list
> would upgrade your release to the next Debian release (ex. if you're
> using 2.2r3 and do a dist-upgrade, you'll get 2.2r4).

I see.
I can see the source of my confusion, I believe. I always use unstable;
when Potato was unstable, that was the one I used. Then Potato become
stable, but I didn't change the sources.list (still pointed to unstable).
Then I did apt-get dist-upgrade. So, inadvertently, I upgraded my system
to unstable Woody. Correct?

> To be sure, check the /etc/debian_version file if it states 2.2 or
> otherwise.  I'd usually modify the apt sources file first before
> committing to an apt-get dist-upgrade with my woody and sid boxes at the
> office.

I have:
okidz@okidz:~$ more /etc/debian_version
testing/unstable

So, basically, the system is Woody and it uses Sid's apps. Right?
I think it's time to do an apt-get dist-upgrade; so that I can get the
stable Woody. (But... it seems that Woody is not yet stable; I guess I
need some more enlightenment here.)

> In terms of stability, from highest to lowest, the rank is Potato
> (the current stable release 2.2, now at rev4), followed by Woody
> (testing) then Sid (unstable). In terms of fast upgrades, Sid wins
> in speed of upgrades, followed by Woody. Packages or fixes in Sid are
> usually backported to Potato if it's a serious security concern.

Actually, my need is to have kernel 2.4.x installed; it would be fine even
if the system were unstable (from the software release point of view).
And at some point in time, I added:
#deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main
into sources.list; my intention was to get an updated "Potato" :-) Well, I
guess it would be nicer just to get the right Woody, but I also want to
stick to Sid's apps. The question is: How?

TIA,
Oki