Re: Potato system (Re: Help with X (after upgrade to Woody))

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 12:28:25PM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> I believe that I've been using Potato; at least, I did an apt-get
> dist-upgrade on it (on my system).

> Anyway, what is the right sequence?
> Potato - Sid - Woody?
> Sid - Potato - Woody?
> or
> Potato - Woody - Sid?

A normal apt-get dist-upgrade without modifying /etc/apt/sources.list
would upgrade your release to the next Debian release (ex. if you're
using 2.2r3 and do a dist-upgrade, you'll get 2.2r4). To be sure,
check the /etc/debian_version file if it states 2.2 or otherwise.
I'd usually modify the apt sources file first before committing to
an apt-get dist-upgrade with my woody and sid boxes at the office.

Modifying the apt sources file with references to stable and change
them to testing to upgrade from potato to woody, or to unstable to
upgrade to sid.

In terms of stability, from highest to lowest, the rank is Potato
(the current stable release 2.2, now at rev4), followed by Woody
(testing) then Sid (unstable). In terms of fast upgrades, Sid wins
in speed of upgrades, followed by Woody. Packages or fixes in Sid are
usually backported to Potato if it's a serious security concern.

Some say that if stability is concerned, it's Potato-Sid-Woody,
since unstable iterates faster than the testing release. [but I'd
go for the more-accepted norm.]

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com