Re: Re: Potato system (Re: Help with X (after upgrade to Woody))

Oki DZ wrote:

>I see.
>I can see the source of my confusion, I believe. I always use >unstable; when Potato was unstable, that was the one I used. Then >Potato become stable, but I didn't change the sources.list (still >pointed to unstable).
>Then I did apt-get dist-upgrade. So, inadvertently, I upgraded my >system to unstable Woody. Correct?

If it's still pointing to unstable, chances are you're using Sid
(the current unstable) if you dist-upgraded from then unstable
Potato to now unstable Sid.

>I have:
>okidz@okidz:~$ more /etc/debian_version
>testing/unstable
>
>So, basically, the system is Woody and it uses Sid's apps. Right?
>I think it's time to do an apt-get dist-upgrade; so that I can get >the stable Woody. (But... it seems that Woody is not yet stable; I >guess I need some more enlightenment here.)

Packages in Sid are eventually committed to testing after some
time and improved stability with the other packages.

So most probably, you're using...

Most probably Sid. If you want to downgrade (actually upgrade on
stability? Sid's actually quite good already and somehow stable too,
compared to other Linux distros), point all attributions of unstable
to testing. But if you're fine with the most upgraded distro
though it exhibits some crazy quirks with some software, then I'd
suggest you stick with Sid. It's kinda stable if you'd ask me - but
don't use it on a production environment. My server at the office
is still running Potato, while workstations are Woody snapshots. At
home, I still use Potato for development, though 50% of the packages
are backports from Sid, and it's running kernel 2.4.

>Actually, my need is to have kernel 2.4.x installed; it would be >fine even if the system were unstable (from the software release >point of >view). And at some point in time, I added:

>#deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main

>into sources.list; my intention was to get an updated "Potato" :-) >Well, I guess it would be nicer just to get the right Woody, but I >also want to stick to Sid's apps. The question is: How?

Woody or Sid is already 2.4 ready, as they're always updated
regularly (with Sid the most number of iterations -- weekly if
I'm not mistaken). Bunk's packages are packages that you need
to have if you're still running potato and you want to use the
2.4 kernel series, and are mostly backported packages from Sid.

However, some frequently re-sync their machines to the most current
Sid. They get the most frequent versions of their software; however
some quirks do get along the way. Not that I'm against it (a friend
of mine resyncs his Sid boxes weekly) but if you have made a good
combination in Sid, then I'd suggest you stick to it, only re-sync-
ing for major security updates. Some say that Potato's best with
production environments (I'd agree on this), while Woody is tolerable enough for office workstations, while Sid is best used at home or for
the most daring who'd want to use bleeding-edge software. Of course,
these are only my opinions.

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com