Re: klogd

On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 12:51, Gabor Gludovatz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could someone please tell me how could I get klogd not to log every event
> to the console as well? syslog logging would be enough, but I haven't
> found any switch or configuration parameter...
> syslog.conf is set up correctly and if I kill klogd, there are no kernel
> messages on the console.. and no kernel messages in the syslog either :)
> help! :)

The man page for klogd around line 111 is exactly what you want:

	The klogd daemon also allows the ability to alter the pre­
       sentation  of kernel messages to the system console.  Con­
       sequent with the prioritization of kernel messages was the
       inclusion  of default messaging levels for the kernel.  In
       a stock kernel the the default console log level is set to
       7.   Any  messages with a priority level numerically lower
       than 7 (higher priority) appear on the console.

       Messages of priority level 7 are considered to be  'debug'
       messages  and  will  thus not appear on the console.  Many
       administrators, particularly in a multi-user  environment,
       prefer  that  all  kernel messages be handled by klogd and
       either directed to a file or to the syslogd daemon.   This
       prevents  'nuisance'  messages such as line printer out of
       paper or disk change detected from cluttering the console.

       When  -c is given on the commandline the klogd daemon will
       execute a system call to inhibit all kernel messages  from
       being  displayed  on  the console.  Former versions always
       issued this system call and defaulted to all  kernel  mes­
       sages  except  for  panics.   This  is handled differently
       nowardays so klogd doesn't need to set this value anymore.
       The argument given to the -c switch specifies the priority
       level of messages which will be directed to  the  console.
       Note  that  messages  of  a  priority value LOWER than the
       indicated number will be directed to the console.

              For example, to have the kernel  display  all  mes­
              sages with a priority level of 3 (KERN_ERR) or more
              severe the following command would be executed:

                   klogd -c 4

       The definitions of the numeric values for kernel  messages
       are  given  in the file kernel.h which can be found in the
       /usr/include/linux directory if  the  kernel  sources  are
       installed.  These values parallel the syslog priority val­
       ues which are defined in the file syslog.h  found  in  the
       /usr/include/sys sub-directory.

/etc/init.d/klogd even has a KLOGD variable suitable for passing the -c
argument.  I'd read up on the values in the kernel.h file to determine
at what level you wish to stop logging to console.

Manpages are your friends.

--mike