Re: VPN software

<quote who="nate">
> Hanasaki JiJi said:
>> Wow!! great overview .. AFter all of that... Which do you
>> recommend and  why?  Do any of them interoperate with each other?
>> My CISCO client runs  fine over TCP with ipchains NAT.
>

> depends on your OS requirements. vtun only officially
> supports freebsd, linux and solaris i believe. vpnd only
> officially supports freebsd and linux(a guy i know
> ported it to BSD/OS though). vtun requires a kernel
> driver for optimal performance(not sure if its required
> period, it might not be..). vpnd does not require any
> special drivers.

i should mention that i started using vtun with the
specific intention of replacing vpnd very soon. vpnd
is great but it doesn't scale as well as i had hoped.
well i think it may be more of a kernel limitation,
each vpnd connection takes 1 slip interface. on one
machine i ran out of slip interfaces with a total of 7,
another machine i ran out with a total of 1! i can't
find any docs on how to increase the # of interfaces
in the kernel, so vtun is scheduled to replace vpnd
around christmas time. i have about 9 current unix
based vpns, with another 4 or 5 that want to..vtun
claims to scale to hundreds of vpns("as much as
the machine can handle" the docs say). so im very
hopeful(sofar its been perfect) that i can replace
vpnd. with only t1s at our offices we won't ever
come near even 35 concurrent vpn connections we'd
run outta bandwidth ..so the p3-700s should be
more then enough to accomodate them.

nate