Re: Gnus and IMAP on Debian?

mmiller3@iupui.edu (Michael A. Miller) writes:

> I'd like to use Gnus (gnus_5.8.8-4 and emacs20_20.7-10.1) to
> extract mail from an IMAP server.  I can check my mail with
> fetchmail (popclient) with no trouble, but when I try with
> gnus-secondary-select-methods, as in
>
>     (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.iupui.edu"))
>     (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
>     (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
>                   '(nnimap "imap1.iupui.edu"))

Try:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.iupui.edu"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
        (nnimap "imap1.iupui.edu"
                (nnimap-address "imap1.iupui.edu")
                (imap-stream kerberos4))))

> I'm told (in *Messages*) that:
>
>     Opening nnimap server on imap1.iupui.edu.edu...
>     Denied server
>
> If I try using mail-sources instead, as I've seen in some posts
> here, like this (with xxxxxxx replaced with the correct
> password):

You should only use mail-sources if you want to download your mail to
store locally, ala pop3.  Typically, you'd rather use the
secondary-select-methods.

>     (setq mail-sources
>           '((imap :server "imap1.iupui.edu"
>                   :user "mmiller3"
>                   :password "xxxxxxxx"
>                   )))
>
> I get this:
>
>     nnml: Reading incoming mail from imap...
>     imap: Connecting to imap1.iupui.edu...
>     Waiting for response from imap1.iupui.edu...done
>     imap: Connecting to imap1.iupui.edu...done
>
>     imap: Reconnecting with stream `kerberos4'...
>
>     Opening Kerberos 4 IMAP connection with `imtest -m kerberos_v4
>        -u %l -p %p %s'...
>     Opening Kerberos 4 IMAP connection with `imtest -m kerberos_v4
>        -u %l -p %p %s'...failed
>     Opening Kerberos 4 IMAP connection with `imtest -kp %s %p'...
>     Opening Kerberos 4 IMAP connection with `imtest -kp %s %p'...failed
>     imap: Reconnecting with stream `kerberos4'...failed
>

> This looks like it is exposing a bug - a dependency on
> cyrus-imapd, which contains imtest.  Would someone who has used
> the Debian Gnus/Emacs packages to read an IMAP server help me
> sort this out before I send in a bug report?

I'm not sure what's going on there.  Does the imap server require
kerberos authentication?  You may have to set the imap-stream
variable, which I added to the gnus-secondary-select-methods above.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org