Re: MRTG

Matthew Daubenspeck said:
> I already have MRTG installed on a potato box, and polling a few
> other  devices on my LAN. So far it works perfectly.
>
> I would like to add the potato box to the list of hosts checked,
> but am  unsure which SNMP packages I should install.
>
> Any ideas?

snmp is, in my opinion a black art. despite my 10 years
in computers, firewalls, networking etc i still can't make
heads or tails of snmp/mib information. but mrtg doesn't
require snmp it just requires a number, luckily enough.
i use a bunch of shell and perl scripts to generate the
numbers needed and put them in xinetd(or inetd) and use
netcat on the mrtg side to connect.

results:
http://mrtg.aphroland.org/portal.aphroland.org/

the only thing from snmp is the ethernet traffic, which
can be got by installing snmpd and running cfgmaker against
the ip address(cfgmaker comes with mrtg), to give you
the codes to tell mrtg how to get the numbers.

most of the scripts are heavily customized to my
own systems but if you really want i can make
them available. ive gotten mrtg to graph everything
from memory usage, to stock prices to virus attacks.
it will graph anything, just have to give it a number
to do it with.

nate