Gnus and IMAP on Debian?

I'd like to use Gnus (gnus_5.8.8-4 and emacs20_20.7-10.1) to
extract mail from an IMAP server.  I can check my mail with
fetchmail (popclient) with no trouble, but when I try with
gnus-secondary-select-methods, as in

    (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.iupui.edu"))
    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
    (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                  '(nnimap "imap1.iupui.edu"))

I'm told (in *Messages*) that:

    Opening nnimap server on imap1.iupui.edu.edu...
    Denied server

If I try using mail-sources instead, as I've seen in some posts
here, like this (with xxxxxxx replaced with the correct
password):

    (setq mail-sources
          '((imap :server "imap1.iupui.edu"
                  :user "mmiller3"
                  :password "xxxxxxxx"
                  )))

I get this:

    nnml: Reading incoming mail from imap...
    imap: Connecting to imap1.iupui.edu...
    Waiting for response from imap1.iupui.edu...done
    imap: Connecting to imap1.iupui.edu...done

    imap: Reconnecting with stream `kerberos4'...

    Opening Kerberos 4 IMAP connection with `imtest -m kerberos_v4
       -u %l -p %p %s'...
    Opening Kerberos 4 IMAP connection with `imtest -m kerberos_v4
       -u %l -p %p %s'...failed
    Opening Kerberos 4 IMAP connection with `imtest -kp %s %p'...
    Opening Kerberos 4 IMAP connection with `imtest -kp %s %p'...failed
    imap: Reconnecting with stream `kerberos4'...failed

This looks like it is exposing a bug - a dependency on
cyrus-imapd, which contains imtest.  Would someone who has used
the Debian Gnus/Emacs packages to read an IMAP server help me
sort this out before I send in a bug report?

Mike
'