scsi controller or kernel failure?

i have received the following message(s) several times now, and once it
happens, i have no choice but to reboot.  i had to manually reboot once
before because i didn't have the SysRq magic built in my kernel, and
severe filesystem damage (irreparable for the existing system) was
sustained forcing me to reinstall.

scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at seqaddr = 0x180
scsi0: Received Target Abort

(that 0x180 may have been something else, unfortunately)

the reinstall was on a smaller disk of the same series as the original
(Quantum Atlas 10k).  unfortunately, it happened again, but thankfully
i could sync the disk (not that i know that actually did anything
useful, since the low-level SCSI layer was freaking out), and e2fsck
managed to fix the filesystem problems on reboot.  this recoverable
lockup has happened several times now, and i don't think it is going
to stop.  has anyone had this and/or know what to do about it?  is it
more likely to be a kernel (software) issue, or a SCSI controller
issue (or the PCI controller!?) ?  the scsi controller is a Adaptec
7890, using the AIC7xxx kernel config option.

also, eth0 was complaining (immediately after the scsi problem, and at
no other time), but some google searching has me under the impression
that it was related to some interrupt sharing that had gone awry since
scsi0 was freaking out.

-c

[ Structural Informatics Group  ]
[ Dept. of Biological Structure ]