Re: Newbie installation: any autodetection of devices?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 04:07:22PM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
> To get into X Window, RedHat would be better than Debian.

Yup. Or, better yet, Mandrake! Then move them on to Debian after a
couple of months, when they're a bit more world wise :).

> But for installing individual packages, I think .deb is better than .rpm.
> Well, it's due to apt-get, I believe.

Yes! But also, and a lot of people who only really glance at Debian
before installing Red Hat or similar, is the fact that Debian packages
are generally of a very very high quality. Packages are maintained by
people that care about the software they're packaging and (generally)
understand the Debian system very well. And when there's something wrong
with a package, bugs are filed and generally stomped on quick-smart. I
recall Red Hat packages varying pretty wildly in quality when I last
played around with a Red Hat system.

--

Andrew Sione Taumoefolau
bepempire@optusnet.com.au