my SCSI detection is scuzzy

Dear All,

I just today installed Debian for the first time
(Yeah!), and it mostly went OK. But on bootup,
there is a major annoyance when it gets to
detecting my scsi devices. Debian does correctly
identify my scsi card (Advansys) but then it
takes FOREVER to test for connected scsi
devices. Each test results in a timeout error,
and this increases bootup time long enough to
brew a cup of coffee. This whole scuzzy scsi
detection procedure generates quite a few
messages, which I've included below. On this same
machine I have SuSE installed, and it doesn't
produce all these error messages, so I'm
wondering if there is a way to bypass all this
nonsense? Of course, I DO want it to be able to detect
a connected scsi device when one is present. Any ideas
would be greatly appreciated. I'm running testing.

Thanks in advance,
Robert Storey

from dmesg:

scsi: <fdomain> Detection failed (no card)
NCR53c406a: no available ports found
sym53c416.c: Version 1.0.0
Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
IBM MCA SCSI: Version 3.2
IBM MCA SCSI: No Microchannel-bus present -->
Aborting.
              This machine does not have any IBM
MCA-bus
              or the MCA-Kernel-support is not
enabled!
megaraid: v1.11 (Aug 23, 2000)
aec671x_detect:
3w-xxxx: tw_findcards(): No cards found.
scsi0 : AdvanSys SCSI 3.3D: PCI Ultra 16 CDB: IO
D800/F, IRQ 10
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1, scsi0,
channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 1, scsi0,
channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0,
channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0,
channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 3, scsi0,
channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 3, scsi0,
channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 4, scsi0,
channel 0, id 4, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 4, scsi0,
channel 0, id 4, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 5, scsi0,
channel 0, id 5, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 5, scsi0,
channel 0, id 5, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 6, scsi0,
channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 6, scsi0,
channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
scsi : detected total.