Re: Newbie installation: any autodetection of devices?

So I decided to let them install Debian from our local ftp-server for a
start.  I am preparing for this, but find it not so easy to do.

I use and apprecite Debian daily, so I hate to say this, but it's true: if you want to impress them with an easy Linux installation, don't use Debian! Grab a Red Hat or SUSE install disk and the process will look as easy as it does for Windows.