panel launchers and environment

I have a gnome panel launcher for gvim.  For the command it simply
says 'gvim'.  I have ash as /bin/sh and /bin/bash is my shell.  In
~/.bashrc I have

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Any time I run gnome-terminal or if I start a subshell from gvim,
echoing $LANG gives the above value.  In addition, if I try ":echo
$LANG" in gvim, I get the same (correct) result.  However if I start
gvim from the launcher, it has en_US.ISO-8859-1 as the value of $LANG.  I
can't figure out why that is.  I tried making a shell script to start
gvim from the launcher, and checking the "run in terminal" box.  The
shell script looked like

#!/bin/sh
gvim
echo $LANG
sleep 7

When it would run, $LANG would have the latin1 value.  I checked the
ash man page (as it seems gnome panel uses /bin/sh when launching
programs) and I couldn't find any way to execute something (to set the
environment) for a _non login_ shell.

Any ideas?

TIA,
-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, B)ang it with a large hammer