Re: RedHat to Debian migration

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim said:
> Hello:
>
> Someone asked me about potential problems of migrating
> from RedHat to Debian, especially for script applications.
>
> Based on my own experience, I had some problems with the
> default "vi" (nvi) and "awk" (mawk). Both problems can
> by solved through /etc/alternatives.
>
> Is there any serious thing that I have missed?

yeah get ready to be replaced <g> once they realize
how much more stable debian is then redhat they won't
need anyone to monitor the servers anymore. i migrated
a network of about 25 redhat systems(various versions)
to debian 2.2 over the past year or so. before we
started i swear i had never seen a linux system that
would cease functioning(network wise) until it was
rebooted. or have the SMTP server(qmail) just stop
accepting connections(even though it's running),
or have sshd just die without warning. it was amazing.
it was my first real exposure to redhat in production.
pretty scary. my ex-boss helped me move my servers to
a new office about 7 months ago, when we were booting
them back up, a few were still redhat, i loved his
remark..

him: "whats that?"
me: "redhat"
him: "screw that...[long pause] everything should be debian"

ive NEVER had a MTA die on me or ssh or networking
in general. never ever..