Re: Two questions (Archive search + Dpkg frontend for X)

On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 12:10:08AM -0200, Vitor Silva Souza wrote:
| At 20:28 27/11/2001 -0500, dman wrote:
| >A GUI can do the things the designer thought of quite easily, but they
| >can't do anything else easily.  Pipes and filters allow fairly simple
| >programs to be combined to perform complex and unique operations quite
| >easily, once the learning curve of the utilities is overcome.  (BTW I
| >have a fair amount of experience in developing GUI apps)
|
|          Agreed, of course. Winzip and Notepad weren't made to extract the
| names of the classes from a Jar file, and a command line with more general
| commands would do the work much more easily. But what if there was a
| Graphical Interface for this specific task? What if you could press a
| button, select a file and receive the desired report formatted on your
| favorite font, ready to print out? I know it's exaggerated, but it's just
| an example.

True, but as your next paragraph says, (and I'll paraphrase) :

    If the task isn't commonplace (and likely simple too), then no one
    has made a GUI for it yet.

|          New and uncommon tasks (like the one your Boss asked you) are
| command line tasks. Everyday stuff is for X. Whatever we develop, we have
| to make it stable and as bugless as possible first, but then we have to
| think about user-friendliness too. If Linux were more user-friendly, people

Yes, systems should be as user friendly as possible, but don't think
that "user friendly" means "idiot friendly" or "uneducated friendly".
On the same grounds one could argue that books are not "user friendly"
because first the reader must climb the hill of learning the alphabet
and spelling and reading in general.

| wouldn't still be stuck on Windows. Again, that's what I think...

To the extent that more people would be more willing to try linux, I
agree.  However sometimes there are other political or other reasons
that people use windows.

-D

--

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not
in us.