Re: switching to maildir from mbox

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 05:10 pm, martin f krafft wrote:
> * Dragos <dragos.delcea@farmexim.ro> [2001.11.27 16:36:17+0200]:
> > my understanding about maildir is: each user has in his/her home a
> > directory called Maildir (or whatever) with 3 subdirectories new,cur,tmp;
> > each message that arrives ends as separate file in the new/ subdirectory;
> > at least that's what I get with qmail; basically the reason for wanting
> > to use maildir is that each mail ends up as a separate file.
>
> your understanding of maildir is correct on the functional level.
>
> > I seem to get more and more confused over this; I need procmail for
> > amavis to work. (at least that part I managed to get right)
>
> okay, so you need to do one of the following:
>
> recompile procmail to make it use maildir by default
> ensure that all users have a .procmailrc file in their homedir, which
> simply contains:
>
> DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
>
> postfix has no say in this issue because it always delivers to amavis,
> which always delivers to procmail.
thanks, Martin (or should I say madduck?)
I think I'm a bit exhausted, and I don't see clearly enough...
anyway, I think I got it right: made a ~/.procmailrc which contains
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/
and that's about it!
I still have to look why for every mail I send (locally, that is), the same
mail gets sent to the procmail user...but, again, as you pointed out, it's
just RTFM procmail{rc|ex}. that's enough for now, I'll do this first time
tomorrow morning, and post my findings on the list, as there are others that
expressed their interest about this setup.

thanks again, dragos