Re: switching to maildir from mbox

* Dragos <dragos.delcea@farmexim.ro> [2001.11.27 16:36:17+0200]:
> my understanding about maildir is: each user has in his/her home a directory
> called Maildir (or whatever) with 3 subdirectories new,cur,tmp; each message
> that arrives ends as separate file in the new/ subdirectory; at least that's
> what I get with qmail; basically the reason for wanting to use maildir is
> that each mail ends up as a separate file.

your understanding of maildir is correct on the functional level.

> I seem to get more and more confused over this; I need procmail for
> amavis to work. (at least that part I managed to get right)

okay, so you need to do one of the following:

recompile procmail to make it use maildir by default
ensure that all users have a .procmailrc file in their homedir, which
simply contains:

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

postfix has no say in this issue because it always delivers to amavis,
which always delivers to procmail.

if you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect
wood, and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to
long for the endless immensity of the sea.
                                           -- antoine de saint exupery