Re: Xine-dvdnav skipping problems

Thus spake Mart van de Wege on Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 08:32:47PM +0100:
> Folks,
>
> Just a minor nuisance, but if anyone knows of a solution, I'd be glad
> for the help.
>
> Using the dvdnav plugin for Xine, dvd playback skips a lot. It will play
> a few scenes, the drive light goes on for more data, and at that moment
> playback halts for a couple of seconds. All it does is print the
> following message to the console: '406 frames delivered, 1 frames
> skipped, 367 frames discarded'.
>
> I checked my drive settings, and it is using DMA. Moreover regular dvd
> playback works fine (ie using a D4D MRL), it's only when I try to use
> the features of the dvdnav plugin that I see this.
>
> Anyone have any idea? I crossposted this to xine-user as well, as I
> don't know if this is a Debian problem, or a xine problem. If someone on
> xine-user knows, I'd appreciate a cc, as I don't subscribe.
>
> Mart
>
> Sytem Info:
> PIII 500, Intel 440BX chipset
> nVidia TNT with nVidia drivers
> LiteOn 12x DVD drive
> xine 0.9.4, dvdnav 0.9.3.beta-1
> kernel 2.4.14
> Debian unstable (sid)

I've got the same thing, mostly with dvdnav (can stop for 30sec
sometimes) and slightly with dvdnav (stop for 1/2 seconds).
This is with kernel 2.4.10 and 2.4.14, however it works used to work
lawlessly with kernel 2.4.3 (at least nothing noticeable).
(xine* 0.9.4 on Duron 700, Via chipset, GeForce 2MX)

I can possibly run a few tests if someone needs it, including
reviving my old 2.4.3. Anyway, if somebody has a fix, cc: to me,
please.

HTH,
Romain

--
Doubt isn't the opposite of faith; it is an element of faith.
		-- Paul Tillich, German theologian.