galeon is crashing on unstable

hi,
I installed Galeon, and it has done very well except for one thing: any time I try to
access Preferences (under Settings) it crashes, printing to the shell the
lines:
	GnomeUI-ERROR **: file gnome-icon-item.c: line 304 (get_default_font):
	assertion failed: (default_font != NULL)
	aborting...
	Abort

Further when I start it I get the error:
	Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

I searched debian-user archives for this problem and saw the same error in a
posting in november, but the answer doesn't make anything clearer for me.

What I found while playing with xfontsel is that when I start it it give me
this error:
	Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
	Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, I just want to mention it.

I'm running Debian unstable with a custom kernel and have installed Galeon
0.12.8.

Maybe anyone can say something about this problem.

Thanks,
Hans