Re: Xine-dvdnav skipping problems

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 10:41:33PM +0100, Romain Lerallut wrote:
> Thus spake Mart van de Wege on Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 08:32:47PM +0100:
> >
> > Using the dvdnav plugin for Xine, dvd playback skips a lot. It will play
> > a few scenes, the drive light goes on for more data, and at that moment
> > playback halts for a couple of seconds. All it does is print the
> > following message to the console: '406 frames delivered, 1 frames
> > skipped, 367 frames discarded'.

> I've got the same thing, mostly with dvdnav (can stop for 30sec
> sometimes) and slightly with dvdnav (stop for 1/2 seconds).
> This is with kernel 2.4.10 and 2.4.14, however it works used to work
> lawlessly with kernel 2.4.3 (at least nothing noticeable).
> (xine* 0.9.4 on Duron 700, Via chipset, GeForce 2MX)
>
> I can possibly run a few tests if someone needs it, including
> reviving my old 2.4.3. Anyway, if somebody has a fix, cc: to me,
> please.

eh. Just an thought, but since you asked:
If it worked in 2.4.3 and doesn't work in the later kernel versions,
it could be an issue with the VM. (heh. I don't even know quite what
that means. :)  I do know it deals with I/O, and from the description
of it, the dvdnav plugin sounds like it does some (non-sequential)
reads from the DVD to get the info for the navigation stuff. ...and
all sorts of I/O related pauses and outright hangs have been blamed
on the VM lately. It might be fixed soon- from my occasional look at
the LKML archive just yesterday there was some discussion on it. You
could try waiting a week or two and then get the latest kernel that
doesn't have any known severe bugs (like fs corruption, that'd be
bad...)

HTH,
Mike McGuire