Performence: ext2/3 v's reiserfs, I/O per sec & gkrellm

hdparm is reporting harddrive performence of >30Mb/s, yet ext2 & ext3 when
copying from 1 disk to another (on seprate channels) performence is sub 5k
I/O per sec. but reiserfs I'm getting over 30k I/O's per sec EH? i've
obviously missed something here

Also how can I work out aprox. I/O's per second  for a given drive
performence. Though my current method of hdparm -t /dev/hdc like 10 times
works i'd much prefer to do 35Mb/s SDR = xxI/O per sec.

And one last thing I've got 4 IDE drives, why can I only get stats in gkrellm
for hda & hdb and not hdc & hdd?