building and debugging

I've been having some problems with nmbd (in samba). I want to do step
through it to see why it is failing, but can't quite figure out getting
symbols.

I changed debian/rules to add --with-debug to the configure step, rebuilt,
and installed. No symbols. I commented out dh_strip and went though it
again. Looks good:

# file /usr/sbin/nmbd
/usr/sbin/nmbd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

But gdb still says no:
# gdb
(gdb) file /usr/sbin/nmbd
Reading symbols from /usr/sbin/nmbd...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

So, how do a rebuild this thing such that I can debug it?

~mark