Getting php4 to work on potato?

I'm having a bit of a problem geting php4 to work on my stable + Progeny +
2.4 kernel machine.

I have apache installed and woorking from a .deb package. I downloaded and
compiled php 4.0.6, and all went well. I uncometed thet AddType lines in
the default /etc/apache/httpd.conf file, and I copied php-ini.dist to
/usr/local/lib/php.ini (is this correct for Debian?) I did not edit this
file (should I have?). I stoped and restarted apache.

I had already created a directory for webvcr, which in theroy should have
working .php files. However when I point my browser to the .php file, it
just offers to downladit.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154