Mail server probs

I have a problem regarding setting up a mail server. I have a static IP address and a domain name (through "www.dyndns.org"). I am able to send email without problem, however I can not send any externally (I can internally). When I do a "nslookup" "hostname --fqdn" etc everything seems to be working fine. That is, my machine's ip address and domain name are working. I can serve web pages and I can offer a ftp server. "/etc/resolv.conf" has the domain name servers provided to me by the ISP. "/etc/hosts" has my ip address plus my domain name (as I said, it works serving pages and ftp stuff). I use pine (for now) and pine config seems to be ok because it is the same setup I used running Progeny and it was working right out of the box whe I installed exim, chose option "1" and mainly default on everything else except the preferred user. By the way postfix has the same behavior (I an send but not receive).
Has anybody setup a successful mail server? Thanks
Joe M Mar