Re: X-Authentification with XFree 4?

on Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:28:46AM +0100, Andreas Maresch (andreas.maresch@energieag.at) wrote:

> > I don't know much about spellcast, but my guess would be that you have
> > "-nolisten tcp" in your /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc (or wherever X is
> > being started in your "derived" distro).  Remove that, and see if it
> > works then... (don't forget to restart X).
>
> Uh what a f***! Knoppix shuts down if the X-Server quits!
> And since Knoppix is CD-Only, that would be impossible to change
> (without burning a new CD).

Check to see how it's running the X server.  /etc/rc?.d scripts or
/etc/inittab are the two usual suspects (Debian and RH, respectively).
The system shouldn't restart unless X is tied to init somehow.  The
other place to snoop is the /etc/X11 subdirectories for scripts run on
exit.

It's also possible that your video card is crashing the system on exit,
you haven't described the "shuts down" process sufficiently for me to
tell what's going on here.

> > Also, if this box is more than a simple playstation, I guess (or
> > hope) you are aware of security-related issues with "xhost +", are
> > you?

> I am aware of the window I open with "xhost +" . But fortunatly, it is
> a simple play station.  And it is even physically write-protected
> (except a ramdisk. har har har).  So there shouldn t be a
> security-problem.

You're probably relatively safe from data corruption in that case, but
if you're accessing systems remotely, "xhost +" may compromise security
of remote systems, particularly userids and passwords.  Security's not
just the local environment.

Peace.