Re: X-Authentification with XFree 4?

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 11:44:39PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Check to see how it's running the X server.  /etc/rc?.d scripts or
> /etc/inittab are the two usual suspects (Debian and RH, respectively).
> The system shouldn't restart unless X is tied to init somehow.  The
> other place to snoop is the /etc/X11 subdirectories for scripts run on
> exit.

Thanx. That's a good point to start from.

> It's also possible that your video card is crashing the system on exit,
> you haven't described the "shuts down" process sufficiently for me to
> tell what's going on here.

No. It is a real, controlled shutdown (even the CD is ejected at the
end and the power is switched off.

<snip>

> You're probably relatively safe from data corruption in that case, but
> if you're accessing systems remotely, "xhost +" may compromise security
> of remote systems, particularly userids and passwords.  Security's not
> just the local environment.

Since the only host I connect to is a widly known host (at least for people
who play spellcast), I don't think that my "xhost +" causes (additional)
damage. But thanks for warning me.

Yours

Andreas