Re: Pre-install: hardware and kernel query

On Fri, 2001-11-23 at 19:40, Brian Clark wrote:

> First, I have a feeling I'm going to burn for this one, but.. why is
> Debian (all versions?) not running 2.4 kernels? Please, please go
> easy.. :-)

There's a thread about this in debian-devel:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00891.html

I concur that 2.4 has been rocky. I have great hopes that 2.4.15 will be
the first solid release in a while and will compile without problems.
Loopback support doesn't compile under 2.4.14.

However you can already run a 2.4 kernel under Potato using Adrian
Bunk's packages:
http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html

A 2.2 kernel can provide hardware challenges. I was lucky that
Reiserfs+backported UDMA boot disks were released for my hardware:

http://www.digitaltux.com/disks/reiserfs/udma/

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before unofficial Debian 2.4 kernel
boot disks are released to help those with hardware that requires a 2.4
kernel at install time.

Regards,
Adam