Pre-install: hardware and kernel query

Greetings,

It's been a long time since I've attempted to run Debian on my
workstation. The last time was around slink frozen I think. Wasn't my
time..

First, I have a feeling I'm going to burn for this one, but.. why is
Debian (all versions?) not running 2.4 kernels? Please, please go
easy.. :-)

Second, I've checked the hardware compatibility lists, but I'm still
unsure of my SCSI controller. My motherboard is a Asus P2B-DS with the
AIC-7890 on-board controller. The last time I checked, there was
unofficial (flaky?) support for it
<http://people.debian.org/~joey/linx.html> and the link for those boot
disks is now a 404. Do I not need them anymore?

For the record, I'm planning to install woody this weekend some time,
and here's the important hardware in case anyone can give me a
definite "yeah those are fine" to make me feel a lot more at ease:

Motherboard: Asus P2B-DS (AIC-7890)
(^^^ I have no IDE disks, so it's gotta work)
Graphics: Diamond Viper TNT2 Ultra 32Mb (nVidia)
Sound: SB Live!
CD-RW: HP 8100i
USB devices:
    MS Explorer Mouse (the ball-less-laser-instead kind)
    MS Natural Keyboard

And finally, this may be a long shot, but am I going to get 2 channels
working on sound card? Front/Rear satellites plus a sub? I have some
great speakers, but I'd hate to have to listen to them from a Windows
machine.

Thank you very much.

--
-Brian Clark | PGP is spoken here: 0xE4D0C7C8