Re: Virus incident

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:31:15 -0800, you wrote:

>Linda Laubenheimer <ljl@rahul.net> writes:
>
>> Brian Nelson wrote:

>> > Is this debian-user, or newbie@linux-mandrake.com?  Debian's always
>> > been elitist.  That's why it's so much fun.
>>
>> Are you deliberately acting like a poorly reared, snotty pre-teen, or
>> is it a genetic fault?
>
>Mostly the former, since this is infinitely more amusing than being
>with the relatives, but partly the latter knowing those relatives I'm
>avoiding.
>
>> Just because debian is a fine OS, it does not make those of us who
>> will use whatever is convenient at the moment some sort of "lesser
>> being".
>
>My point wasn't that people who use a .*Microsoft email client are
>"lesser beings" because they can't make Debian work; I mean that they
>most likely aren't trying hard enough.  Debian isn't about holding
>newbies' hands.  There isn't a mailing list dedicated to newbies
>installing debian.  The information is out there; it's up to them to
>find it, understand it, and apply it.  It's like a right of passage.
>
>Besides, isn't this the debian-user mailing list, for discussions
>among debian users?
>
>> I, at least, don't let religious fanaticism interfere with doing a
>> job.
>
>I'm not religiously fanatical.  I just have no interest in helping
>someone who can't be bothered to read readily available information.
>Sure, there may be a rare case that someone using a .*Microsoft mailer
>asked a decent question, but when's the last time that happened?

I use Agent Forte on an M$ machine.  My Linux box is not online yet
because I don't yet have a second NIC, nor do I understand IP masking or
a lot of other things.  I have asked questions recently in this forum.
They were, I believe, 'decent.'  I received courteous, helpful, and
timely responses.  I have even been able to post the occasional answer
to other's queries, all from an M$ machine.

Other than BASIC and ASM stuff on TRS-80s a long time ago, I've been a
Win3/9x appliance operator.  I chose Debian for my Linux distr because
it is down and dirty and not hidden by a UI that would slow the learning
process.  But choosing Debian did not suddenly make me proficient in the
argot, nor did it steep me in the Unix/Linux culture.  Often it's not
that I don't RTFM, but that I don't know which FM to effingR.  There's a
whole pot full of nice, caring, and helpful people on this list.  You
are the exception.  In short, you are a prick.

gt

>--
>Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
>BigNachos@jabber.org
>http://bignachos.com

Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash