Re: NIS and device permissions

In article <[🔎] 20011121170406.B26812@socrates.if.usp.br>,
francisco m neto  <einstein@socrates.if.usp.br> wrote:
>» Miquel van Smoorenburg disse isso e eu digo aquilo:
>
>> >		I'm willing to give permission to users to use the sound hardware on
>> >the local machines. However, due to the fact that they are registered
>> >users only in the server,
>>
>> What do you mean with that sentence?
>
>	They are "real" users only in the server machine. They are "virtual"
>users on the clients. I mean, they are users on the server, and due to
>the NIS the y can login in the clients, even not having a username
>registered at those machines.

In that case they are as real as they come. GNU libc can use several
sources to get account information from, and /etc/passwd is no
more or less real than NIS (or LDAP for example) to the system.

>> >I didn't manage to add them to the system
>> >group 'audio', so they could have acces to /dev/mixer, /dev/dsp and
>> >/dev/audio.
>>
>> Why not? What went wrong?
>
>	It was complaining about not finding a name for groud XXX.
>	I tried again a few minutes ago and it worked. But if I issue the
>command 'groups johndoe', I still get the same error message.

If group 'audio' is defined in /etc/group on the local machine
as well as on the master NIS server, make sure they have the
same numeric group id or weird things like this will happen.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.