Re: experiences with Intel Dual Port NICs (i82558 controller)

Kurt Lieber said:
> I've been doing some research on Intel Dual Port NICs.  From what
> I've found,  there may have been some past issues with the NICs
> that use the i82558  controller running on linux.
>
> I'm just wondering if these issues have since been resolved?  Is
> anyone using  a dual port NIC with this controller that can attest
> to how well it  does/doesn't work on Debian?

i reccomend checking out znyx. im in the process of evaluating
4-port cards from them. they use an intel chipset, though
not the 8255x series. they can do failover and stuff if
you like but i plan on using them as 4 seperate standalone
NICs. the 2port cards probably use intel chipsets too.
tho i haven't tried it on debian yet(i plan these systems
to run freebsd 4.4) freebsd detected them out of the box,
no special driver needed. the drivers are fully open source.

they are pricey though, not sure how much the intel ones
are but ive gotten quotes for the 4-port znyx card at
$700. since i bought these integrated with systems i didn't
ask how much the indiividual cards were ..

nate