Re: Dangling man page sym links

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:25:21AM +1100, Richardson, Martin wrote:
> 		I have an issue when I try to do a man on a particular
> command I get a, warning that 'man ctags.emacs is a dangling sym link'
> and 'man ctags.emacs no such file' ( you have to excuse me.. Im not on
> my Debiam box right now) . I have found the symlink and deleted it,
> and the problem went away for a little while, but now its back. Could
> someone please point me in the right direction, on how to update any
> changes to the man pages etc etc I think all this has resulted from
> update/ removal of some software. I am sorry for the vagueness. I am
> using Potato.

In woody, man won't display those annoying messages any more, or make
you suffer the delay that came with them. In potato, the easiest way to
stop man complaining was to run mandb as root after changing any man
pages.

The dangling symlinks you mention are almost certainly bugs in
individual packages, and usually relate to the alternatives system,
which allows multiple packages to provide the same command (and its
corresponding man page). Sometimes maintainers get this a bit wrong. If
you make sure everything in /etc/alternatives points to something valid
(using either update-alternatives or plain old 'ln -s'), you should be
more or less OK.