Re: There've been a lot of these [was Re: Print problems with CUPS]

dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 09:18:51AM -0600, DvB wrote:
> |
> | I've been seeing a lot of CUPS related problem on the list lately and I,
> | personally, have been having no end of problems printing since the last
> | cups upgrade landed through apt-get: my home printer (parallel port)
> | won't print at all... I guess I'll have to try rebooting and cycling the
> | printer :-) My computer here at work, OTOH, will print blank pages from
> | mozilla but, otherwise, appears to work fine (this one's printing to an
> | HP JetDirect card).
>
> Check your gimp print packages.  My desktop machine went bad a while
> ago -- gimp wouldn't print anytyhing (lp would warn about no data on
> stdin) and galeon would spit out blank pages (at least for the
> pictures I tried to print).  Then one time I tried the laptop from
> work and it (gimp) printed just fine.  I checked the package list and
> found that my desktop machine had some extra wacky versioned gimp
> print package.  I removed it and gimp could then print just like it
> used to.

Are you referring to the cupsys-driver-gimpprint package? It's not
installed on either of my machines. Here's a list of packages with
"cups" in them:

un  apcupsd        <none>        (no description available)
ii  cupsomatic-ppd 0.20010420-3  cups printer ppd's from LinuxPrinting.org
ii  cupsys         1.1.10-4      Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
rc  cupsys-bsd     1.1.4-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD commands
ii  cupsys-client  1.1.10-4      Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client programs (SysV)
un  cupsys-dev     <none>        (no description available)
un  cupsys-driver-gimppr <none>  (no description available)
ii  cupsys-pstoraster    1.1.10-4Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - pstoraster
un  kdelibs3-cups  <none>        (no description available)
un  libcupsys1     <none>        (no description available)
un  libcupsys1-dev <none>        (no description available)
ii  libcupsys2     1.1.10-4      Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
un  qtcups         <none>        (no description available)

The list looks the same on both machines, except that cupsys-bsd is rc
on one and pn on the other.

The only other thing I noticed is that gnome-print (which is only in
stable and not testing or unstable) is installed on my home machine and
not this one. I tried uninstalling it and print jobs still just sit in
the queue for ever but I don't remember if my printer's on or off so
I'll have to check it when I get a chance :-)