Print problems with CUPS

Ok, I tried searching the archives and nothing came up.  I'm not even
sure if the archive search is working.  Even a general term such as
"print" brings up nothing.  I'm using CUPS 1.1.10 (in sid) with the
EPSON Stylus Color 400 GIMP-Print v4.1.99b1 driver.  The first job
prints perfectly, any job after that I get the error "Back-channel
read error - Input/Output error!"  The only way I've found to fix this
is to turn of the printer, reboot the computer, then turn the computer
back on.  Other things I've tried that didn't work:  disabling then
enabling the printer in admin, restarting cupsd, cycling the printer
on and off doesn't work without a reboot, and a reboot on it's own
doesn't work either.  I'm completely stumped.  I'm not subscribed so
please reply-to me.

-Rob