Re: Segmentation Fault w/ XF86Setup

Rafe B. wrote:

I just tried to upgrade my "potato" box with XFree86 from "unstable." Bad idea?

Not the best.

This yields Segmentation Fault when I run XF86Setup.

So my questions are:

1. Was it dumb to install XF86 4.1 on top of a 2.2r3 base (kernel 2.2.18pre21) ?

Yes, if you mean installing XFree86 4.1 from unstable.
No, if you used unofficial XFree86 4.1 packages for potato.

Look at:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2001/debian-x-200109/msg00042.html

2. Is it possible that XF86Setup itself was somehow not updated?

3. Which deb contains XF86Setup? Danged if I can figure it out...

xf86setup
It is only found in potato. To configure XFree86 4.1, use
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
or
XFree86 -configure

4. What's the minimim base for running XF86 version 4.1.0-9? Or is "apt-get" supposed to deal with such dependencies?

Use apt-get or dselect to deal with dependencies.
But there will probably so many upgraded packages to solve dependencies, you might as well install sid.

5. Suggestions on where to go from here...

If I were you, I would consider either:
1. Reinstall potato packages you upgraded, and then install unofficial XFree86 4.1 packages for potato.

or

2. Do a distribution upgrade to woody or sid. (There have been a number of messages in this list discussing the best way to do this.)

I hope this helps.

--
Jerome