Re: Segmentation Fault w/ XF86Setup

I just tried to upgrade my "potato" box with
XFree86 from "unstable."  Bad idea?

Yes!

This yields Segmentation Fault when I run XF86Setup.

Mildly chaotic "update" process, since I was
a bit confused about the Deb packages to get.
I started with:

  xfree86-common
  x-window-system-core
  xserver-common

.. at which point XF86Setup still ran, but
showed no video boards to select from.  Then
I went and got:

  xserver-svga

That is version 3.3.6-39

  xserver-xfree86
  libgnomesupport0
  libgnomeui32
  libgnome-perl  // and finally:
  x-window-system

version 4.1.x

.. which is probably where I should have
started.

You have a mixture of 3.3.6 and 4.1 packages on your system

So my questions are:

1. Was it dumb to install XF86 4.1 on
top of a 2.2r3 base (kernel 2.2.18pre21) ?

No but the wrong way of doing. Looks like you didn't even have a look on the packeges numbers.

2. Is it possible that XF86Setup itself was
somehow not updated?

XF86Setup is for 3.3.x

4. What's the minimim base for running
XF86 version 4.1.0-9?  Or is "apt-get"
supposed to deal with such dependencies?

apt-get is your choice. Go to http://people.debian.org/~bunk/ and read the instructions on how to install XF4 on potato with apt-get.

5. Suggestions on where to go from here...

Whew!  Many thanks in advance.  I'm way over
my head here, I guess <g>.

rafe b.

Frank