Re: managing multiple machines

Thus spake Petro:
> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:17:29PM -0800, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > I manage a cluster used for computational neuroscience at a University.
> > The number of machines is starting to get to a point where it is difficult
> > to maintain software synchronization across machines. Any tips?
>
>     www.systemimager.org
>
>     Also take a look at cfengine. I've never used the latter.
>
> > I have considered sharing /usr via NFS as well, but since configurations
> > are stored in /etc, I'd have to share /etc too. But that won't work, since
> > machine-specific information like an IP address and name is stored in
> > /etc. (Whatever happened to the very intelligent policy of configuring
> > programs in /bin in /etc, configuring programs in /usr/bin in /usr/etc,
> > and configuring programs in /usr/local/bin in /usr/local/etc?!)
>
>     That's the nice thing about standards, there are so many to choose
>     from.
>
> --
> Share and Enjoy.
If you have the disk space, I suppose you could set up a chroot
environment, and export the whole thing.  that wouldleave the server
environment intact, and the client environment in one place for ease
of management.  Just a thought.
Good luck,
Steve

--
Long computations which yield zero are probably all for naught.