RE: managing multiple machines

I would say if you're gonna go ahead and share /usr you may as well go
diskless.

OR: run a centrally managed group of apps over X remotely (this could
get messy tho)
this way they all run on the same machine

However what is the problem you're having with the machines having their
own /usr?  Can't you just have a "standard" group of packages that each
machine gets, then update every night from there?

Mounting just /usr over nfs is going to have non trivial reprocussions
with dpkg I would think.  That is usually what /opt is for and probably
why debian does not use it.