Re: Newbie question

» bzik kali disse isso e eu digo aquilo:

> I'm pretty new to debian. I've installed debian on my box. No I am having a
> number of problems.

	Congratulations for your choice ;-)

> 1. When I tried to install the sawfish I get the following message :

> checking for XineramaQueryScreens in -lXinerama ...no
> checking for rep -version >= 0.14 ... configure: error: version 0.9;
> require 0.14

	You could simply make apt-get install sawfish
	sawfish is available on Potato.

> 2. For some reason I have both  window makers in the same time. I get the
> defailt debian xwindow window maker GNUstep and gnome. How do I get rid of
> the the GNUstep inside gnome.

	Gnome is not a window manager. It's a complete desktop group of applications. BTW, the best window manager for use with it is actually sawfish.
	To avoiding loading WindowMaker at the startup, you should:

	1) The .xsession file in your home directory and leave 'exec gnome-session' as the only uncommented line on it;
	2) Open the Gnome Control Panel and select your preferred window manager.

> 3. The most important question that i have is how do I change from being
> stable to being unstable. Where the ftp. resource list and how do I modify
> it to change from a stable debian to unstable. Can I change from stable to
> unstable without breaking anything?

	You have to edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list, substituting the 'stable' word for 'unstable'. Then, enter 'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade'.

> Thanks !

	You're welcome!
	Please ask if you have some other doubt ou question.

--
[]'s,
		francisco m neto

	"Through Illusion we get to Reality."