Detecting Network connections...

I have a notebook running Debian which is frequently connected to any of
several networks, all of which provide DHCP for network configuration.
However some of these networks are wired (connected via the built-in
ethernet port, which uses the eepro100 driver) and some are wireless (using
a Linksys wireless PC card).

This all works fine, but whenever I boot up on the wireless network, I have
to wait for DHCP to time out on the built-in ethernet port, which I would
obviously prefer not to do.

Windows has an option called "detect presence of network connection" which
seems to do a pretty good job of just ignoring it when there's no wire
attached to the port.

Is there any way to do the equivalent in Linux?  (ie. - detect whether the
ethernet card has link and just don't even try to DHCP if it doesn't?)

					-Andrew

--
Andrew Davenport                   | All good gifts around us
adavenpo@tropnevad.org             |     are sent from Heaven above.