german keyboard support: bug in 2.2r4 ?

Hi there,

After installing the current "stable" release 2.2r4 (i386), I found that
the german keyboard support seems broken.

Most keys ("{}[]\~@YZ") work as expected, but the keys for the german
"umlauts" (in HTML, they are coded as ä, ö, and ü) only
beep.
On 2.2r2, everything works fine. I compared the keymap files of both
releases. After unpacking, they are identical.

First, I thougt I made a mistake in the very first instaletion step,
"Configure the keyboard".
So, I tested it by installing again. Really strange: Up to the point
when the system is rebooted the first time, the "umlauts" work.
I tested this on the second console (alt-F2).
But after rebooting, they don't.

Also, I tested this on two different PC's with the same result.

I am not sure which package is responsible for the bug.

Any ideas for a workaround ?

Thank you and have fun,
Markus