Re: added memory, should I increase swap?

* Peter Christensen (christenpet@snip.net) [011118 18:01]:
> So, two questions:
>
> Should I change my swap partition to 256MB, to match the new memory?

The answer to this question really depends more on your kernel selection
and typical load; less on Debian's "requirements." Will you be running a
2.2 series kernel or a 2.4? A rule of thumb I've heard repeated is that
2.4 kernels like to have swap = 2*RAM, but there's no hard and fast
rule (and it's doubtful that your system will require 512MB RAM). If
you'll just be using this machine as a terminal for dial-up shell
access, for example, you shouldn't need large amounts of swap. If, on
the other hand, you'll be running a lot of X apps and/or will be doing
some development work, or such things, you might want to increase your
swap. My impression, based on first glance, is that you should be fine.

> When I re-install Debian, how do I do it so that I get only the minimum

You needn't reinstall Debian at all. Just fire up dselect and start
cleaning out things that you don't need. If you elect to remove
something and the dependency screen that pops up makes you realize that
you really do want to keep it after all, just hit 'R' to revert, and
enter to accept, and go about your business as before. Take a few
minutes to read the help screens, and hit '?' to bring them back up in
case you ever feel you might be in trouble. If stuff does start to smell
funny, just hit 'X' (a few times, if necessary) to exit without
committing your changes.

> name for 2.1...)  What I'd like to do is just get internet access going,
> upgrade to Potato, then pick and choose applications with apt-get.

You can do that, too, if you really feel compelled to reinstall. I'd
recommend just downloading the potato boot floppy images and going from
there; you don't need the entire distribution on CD if you have a
dial-up with reasonable speed and no problems with connectin time limits
from your ISP and some patience =) You can just get the potato boot
floppies and complete the install via the network. This route should
also be less headache than installing slink and then upgrading to
potato.

good times,
Vineet

--
Satan laughs when      #  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will
we kill each other.    #   defend to the death your right to say it."