XF86_VGA16 is missing or not installed

See error message:

X: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_VGA16 failed
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

This is the message I get when I try to 'startx'.

What I think I know:  /usr/X11/bin/X (path may be off, I'm away from the
linux box) should be a link to XF86_VGA16.  I can't find that file.  Per
"Running Linux," this is standard on all distros, but may not be
installed.

Where am I likely to find the necessary bins or source, and what do I do
with them when I do?

Background:  Debian Potato on PIII Dell w/i810e video on board.  This
video adapter is unsupported in my cd set.  Per Intel, X should be
configured w/VGA16 prior to installing driver/server available from
them.  The linux box (koko) is not on line yet, so any downloads must
take place through etta, an M$98 machine, be put on floppy, then SMTP
(Shanks Mare Transfer Protocol) to koko.

If help comes in the form of RTFM, please be specific.  I found
redirection in man sh, but it was about 50 pages deep in hardcopy equiv.
(I was too damned lazy to hand copy the message off the screen!)

gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash