Re: XF86_VGA16 is missing or not installed

Gary Turner said:
> See error message:
>
> X: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_VGA16 failed

> Background:  Debian Potato on PIII Dell w/i810e video on board.

last time i tried, intel 810 did not work with any of
the X 3.3.6 servers(including VGA16 if you had it installed)
without the kernel module. if you want to stick to potato
(i reccomend it for most any installation unless your feeling
daring). the way i would go about fixing this involves 2
steps:

1) compile your own kernel
2) grab the X 3.3.6 source from ftp.xfree86.org and find
the agpgart module inside it(run a find for "*agpgart*")
and compile that(it requires all the proper headers to
be installed which will be accomplished by compiling your
own kernel and using it. there are other agpgart modules
but my last experience with intel 810 (a year and a half
ago..) only the one with 3.3.6 source worked with the
3.3.6 driver.
3) put the module in /etc/modules so it auto loads on
startup(unless you do the kernel autoloader, but i don't)

intel has a driver/module on their site as well if you
want to try that ..

if you don't go the intel route you will need
xserver-svga installed to use the 810, the module
is required though.

i ran intel 810 for a few months on potato and on hamm
(getting it working on hamm was hardest) back then ..
been lucky enough not to see an 810 since.

nate