Re: Adding a user for ftp but without shell access

Hmm what about something using PAM and ldap? Does the Posix schema have a "login enabled"?

nate wrote:

jennyw said:

Is there a way to add a user so that they can get to ftp but that
they do not have shell access?

Are there any FTP servers that keep their own user lists? I just
want a simple way to transfer files back and forth without giving
people more access than they need.

quickest way is probably change their shell to /dev/null
add /dev/null to /etc/shells(so ftp servers will allow the
user to login) and add the user ..

the only ftpd that i know off the top of my head that has
its own internal userlist is glftpd (glftpd.org)

nate