Re: Opinions on Laptops to Install With Debian

On Sat, 2001-11-17 at 02:21, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 09:51:13PM -0800, Jeff (jcoppock1@home.com) wrote:
> > Mark Seven Smith, 2001-Nov-16 15:52 -0800:
> > > Someone recently pointed me towards eBay regarding my video card
> > > delimma; but when I considered the matter, what I *really* want, is
> > > a LAPTOP, than I can use from bed (i have some health difficulties)
> > > for learning Linux, and doing a lot of paperless reading...
> > >
> > > What sort of a laptop should I look for, in terms of what is really
> > > compatible with Linux, and especially DEBIAN?
> > >
> > > There are decent offers for IBM ThinkPads, for instance (Such as an
> > > offer for an "IBM Thinkpad 560X, P233, 24XCD, 96MB, 4GB,56k",
> > > $113.50 (two of 'em like this)).
> > >
> > > Suggestions?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> >
> > I'm on the debian-laptop dist list and have seen some positive posts
> > regarding that IBM system.  From what I read, the IBM laptops in
> > general are pretty solid laptops with good Linux support.  You
> > shouldn't have too much trouble getting everything working on it.
> > Plus, the price seems pretty darn good.  That's more than enough
> > system for what you want to use it for.
>
> I'm going to second the ThinkPad recommendation.  Damned solid hardware,
> I've been playing with some older models -- 600x and a 560.  If you
> can't shell out for a new system, a refurbed older one (shoot for 1-2
> years back) will be nice, and a 500-800 MHz CPU is more than adequate
> firepower.
>
> The feel is far more solid than the unit I picked up (for about half the
> price) from TuxTops.  Having gone down the "return for service" route,
> I'm quite disappointed with the service provider.  $60 for shipping, and
> no system for a week and a half, truculent service at best from Arm
> Computer.   Compare to a 48-hour turnaround for a friend with a ThinkPad
> recently.  Go IBM!

Typing this on a T-22.

bought it at http://www.ebaystores.com/ibm this is direct from IBM.  The
motherboard was having problems where it would only work if it was
plugged in.  Called them on a tuesday, they had a box for me on wed,
FedEx picked it up Wed at 5pm, it was waiting for me at 10am Friday
morning.

ibm's ebay store is tremendous.  I bought it there, because it was
cheaper than buying it using my IBM employee discount!

shaya