Re: best video card regarding license issues

Steffen Evers <mldeb@forevers.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have followed the recent discussion about vidoe cards on the list. I
> have also been looking for a new video card and was thinking about a
> Nvidea card. However, I have read about the license problems with
> "tainting" (non-GPL) kernel modules for Nvidea acceleration. It seems
> like that kernel hackers try to block out non-GPL code like this driver
> (sounds reasonable to me ...).
> In particular, Alan Cox has picked out the Nvidea kernel modules as a
> good example how a module "taints" the kernel and explained that such
> tainted kernels will be not debugged in the future.

Yeah, they won't be "blocked out", but the kernel hackers won't try to
debug a tainted kernel, because they can't fix it.  Basically, I think
they're sick of bug reports caused by bugs in non-free code.

> So, what do you know about graphic cards regarding driver's licenses?

Get a card with quality opensource drivers.  Matrox cards are known
for having nice drivers.  I'm not sure about others...

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>