Re: best video card regarding license issues

On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 21:14, Brian Nelson wrote:
> Steffen Evers <mldeb@forevers.de> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have followed the recent discussion about vidoe cards on the list. I
> > have also been looking for a new video card and was thinking about a
> > Nvidea card. However, I have read about the license problems with
> > "tainting" (non-GPL) kernel modules for Nvidea acceleration. It seems
> > like that kernel hackers try to block out non-GPL code like this driver
> > (sounds reasonable to me ...).
> > In particular, Alan Cox has picked out the Nvidea kernel modules as a
> > good example how a module "taints" the kernel and explained that such
> > tainted kernels will be not debugged in the future.
>
> Yeah, they won't be "blocked out", but the kernel hackers won't try to
> debug a tainted kernel, because they can't fix it.  Basically, I think
> they're sick of bug reports caused by bugs in non-free code.

Of course if you think you've discovered a real kernel bug, it should be
reproducable from the console .... so even if you're using the NVidia
module, you could unload the module, reproduct the kernel bug, and
submit it. I really don't see this being a real issue.

--

GPG Public Key available: http://nimh.freeshell.org/gpg_key.txt